We have filled the last three weeks looking at the Church of the Resurrection (also known as the Church of the Holy Sepulcher). Hopefully, the story of this revered but often neglected site gives us a little bit of perspective on the difficulties faced by the Church in all its various manifestations.
- Constantine and the Ancient Building (330-614)
- The Persian Wars and the Rise of Islam (614-692)
- Sidebar on the Dome of the Rock (685-692)
- The Mad Caliph Destroys the Church (1019-1042)
- The Crusader Church (1042-1187)
- Turkish Control and the Status Quo (1187-1856)
- The Earthquakes and Conflicts (1853-1965)
- Barluzzi, Italy, World War II (1933-1947)
- Restoration at Last (1965-1997)
We haven’t exhausted this subject, and I might return to it at a later date.